R E C I P E || CHEDDAR & DILL BISCUITS (OR SCONES? IS IT THE SAME THING IDK)



I should say this right now: I cook. A lot. So, naturally I have a collection of recipes and photos of things I’ve cooked or baked. I did have a food recipe blog on tumblr once – but it never clicked for me and I wasn’t really happy with it. I don’t know why, but it just was. Hopefully, this time round things will be different since there are other things on this blog too :) 
 





Food has always been a major part in my life – whether it be bringing family and friends together or teaching myself during high school because I was home alone most of the time (everyone else was working or out – it’s okay :P). 





So, yes. Food and recipes may be a common thing here. I feel like I should apologise for any future cravings or salivating I may cause.





Onto the recipe! There are two reasons why I made this: 1) I had left over heavy cream that needed to be used pronto and 2) I wanted to make something that was portable and easy to eat (possibly for uni). Actually, I just really had to get rid of the cream.






I don’t know why these are called biscuits. Is it an American thing? To me, they are more like savoury scones. I guess I should have researched more about it – but I was more focused on making it and then eating it.



I adapted the recipe a tad bit, and by a tad I mean not really. I added extra cheese at the request of my sister. She likes her cheese. Recipe from Pastry Affair.

Onward!


(I also apologise for the crappy photos)




CHEDDAR & DILL BISCUITS/ SCONES




Yield: 10-12 biscuits



INGREDIENTS:


  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 57g unsalted butter, chilled
  • 3 tablespoons fresh dill, minced 
  • 1 1/4 cup cheddar or vintage cheese, grated 
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream 
  • 1/3 cup milk


METHOD:



1. Cube the butter beforehand and let it chill in the freezer for fifteen minutes.



2. Grate the cheese, and mince the dill finely.




3. Preheat the oven to 220C. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. 





4. Mix in the butter until mixture resembles a coarse sand, and then mix in the dill and cheddar cheese.  






5. Gradually pour in the heavy cream and milk, mixing until just combined.






6. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and bring together until it forms a ball. If you need to knead the dough to bring it together, do so but no more than 10-12 times.


 


7. Flatten the dough to roughly 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch (or which ever size you desire) cookie cutter dipped in flour, cut out the biscuits/ scones until all the dough is used. Do not twist the cutter as it will seal the sides, and therefore the biscuits/ scones won't rise well.






8. Place the biscuits/ scones onto a prepared baking sheet, and bake for 15-18, or until the tops are golden brown.  


And there you have it! You can serve these hot with some butter or dip it in some nice soup. You could add some cumin (just a teaspoon) to the dough mixture to enhance the vintage cheese even more.






These are particularly great for my 6am starts on my uni days. I just warm them up and GTFO of my house to catch the train :'D





- Del

Comments

Popular Posts