O U T I N G || OCEANS, DRAGONS, AND KITES - 140614

There are days where I leave the comfort of my troll cave and go out and do things. This is one of those days, specifically of the last minute and spontaneous kind. It was goddamn brilliant.

I was eating my breakfast when my older sister, Pippi, came home from the coast. She was in both a daze and a rush. Being the caring sister I am, I asked, "What up, nerd".

Now, I had my entire Saturday planned then - I was going to stay in my room, read, play some Pokemon, maybe clean my room. It was supposed to be my relaxing day, like every other day. The sky was a blinding grey and the air cold, but it was the perfect day to stay in. I believed that nothing would make me put a bra on that day.

Then she promptly told me of her plans for the day - Deep Oceans exhibit at the science museum, maybe catch How To Train Your Dragon Two afterwards with her friends.

Yes. Yes so goddamn hard. So much so that I promptly invited myself to tag along with Pippi and her friends. Heck yeah.
So, off we went. We had some Mexican food to start off, bought our movie tickets, and then to the museum.

I've always had an odd affinity and fascination of the ocean. The fact that we only explored 10% of it, the fact that we know more about space and planets than our own oceans. It's another world and it's fucking weird as hell. I remember reading books about it when I was younger, and non-fiction was all I read.


BathysphereA spherical deep-sea submersible which was unpowered and lowered into the ocean on a cable, and was used to conduct a series of dives during the 1930's. Could only fit two people. Pretty damn cramped. No toilet breaks.
Giant Squid - Distinction between a giant and a colossal is super important, guys. Hella cool and gross.

Angler Fish - There were some specimens at the exhibit but look at this model. It's orange.

I always enjoy going to museums because so many things are going off in my head creatively, philosophically, and logically while being in total amazement, and in awe, and overwhelmed with it all. By the end of it all, I'm so wiped because it's just a complete overload of senses for me.

Afterwards, we all went to catch HTTYD 2. Goddamnit yes it was amazing. I would be lying to myself if I said I didn't die on the inside during certain scenes. Good writing/ script, good music, good animation (so much development since the first! GODS I LOVE ANIMATION), good sequel, good everything. Everyone shut up and go watch it. Do it.

So by the end of the day, both my sister and I are drained and were so ready to crash when we got home. Ready to take that bra off, a'might?

I was half way through eating my dinner when I got a text from my other sister, telling me to come out because her friend had a spare concert ticket to The Paper Kites. Yes. Yes so goddamn hard. I GTFO home so fast and before I knew it, I was standing front row at The Paper Kites concert. 
 



 
 

Airling (Hannah Shepard and Graham Ritchie) played the first opening of the night. Shepard's vocals and dreamlike lyrics were a good contrast against gauzy synths and pulsating hip hop beats.
Phebe Starr played the second opening with sharp and bold beats and a power voice against the eclectic feel of her set piece.

Best last minute decision I have ever made unlike that one time I decided to take the bus home during peak hour and not the train. The Paper Kites (Sam Bentley, Christina Lacy, Dave Powys, Josh Bentley and Sam Rasmussen) are a five piece indie folk band from Melbourne, and their music is absolutely melodic and beautiful with sincere and sweet lyrics.

I'll admit that some of their songs do tend to sound similar, but they effortlessly blend into one another that creates a massive loop of soothing sounds. Meaty guitar lines and drums help with the variations along with the vocals of Christina Lacey. The crowd was mellow of course as we all swayed to the dreamy sounds and beats of the night.

By midnight, my day and night were well and truly over with a necessary snack run to Maccas.

- Del

Comments

Popular Posts