O U T I N G || TWENTY YEARS - SOMETHING FOR KATE - 110714

This is a little late, but I finally have some time to sit down and write about Friday night, a.k.a the 20th anniversary of Something for Kate.

I'll state this now: this is going to be kind of emotional (as much as I can be) on my part because I feel like just writing about the concert isn't enough. It's going to sound so cheesy later on too, so you can totally skip the emotional vomit by just skipping down to when I actually write about the concert

Prepare for word vomit.

My birthday was the day before the concert, so everything was just even more exciting and remarkable that night. I first heard Something for Kate (specifically Echolalia) when I was about eleven or twelve through one of my older sisters (Pippi). Before then, I didn't really pay attention to music and genres. I was pretty much a kid on the edge of adolescence and had only begun to develop a sense of preferences.

Needless to say, their music had a big influence on my future tastes. I was somewhat the only one in my group of friends with an intense loving of anything rock (I use the term loosely because there are so many genres omg). My music has since then expanded, but Something for Kate was literally the soundtrack of my adolescence and my high school years (which was also during the hiatus /sobs).

So, by 2012 I was in my last year of high school, studying and stressing over exams and assignments. Imagine me barely containing my excitement when Leave Your Soul To Science came out. They were back. I remember they played at Suncorp stadium (for Triple J, if memory serves me right) and I wanted to go so badly to hear them play after all these years. However, two things popped up:
  1. I had a goddamn English exam the morning after
  2. No one listened to them/ would go with me
Oh, and because we all had exams since it was exam block.

It pained me not being able to go, obviously choosing the more responsible decision to stay at home and study for the exam. But it was still exciting. They were back, there was a new album out. That was more than I could had ever hoped for.

Skip forward to April/ June 2014. I get a message from my other older sister (Fee) about the concert for their 20th anniversary. Imagine me barely containing my happiness when Fee got two tickets as a birthday gift. It was finally happening. After all these years, I finally get to see them.


I appreciated the 'I herd it was your birthday' card. A+ for pun.
And that's how we end up on the 11th of July, 2014 at The Tivoli at 6:30pm lining up outside in the freezing winter. My best friend ('E') came out that night with me because I couldn't find anyone else that wanted/ could go with me. Again, no one in my friend group really listened to them, although with the exception of two but neither could make it. I'm so goddamn glad and grateful that my best friend came with me, even though she didn't really know them. I owe her so much.

Anyways.

The Tivoli got packed rather quickly after we got in, and luckily we managed to snag a spot at the front in the second row. Though we stood behind one of the tallest goddamn guy at the concert (who was at this fiftieth SFK concert - go him). I'm 150 cm. I'm the height of a goddamn primary school kid; granted the boots I wore gave me that extra bit of height and a fuckton of pain. REGARDLESS, I still had a smile and joy which lasted well into the night.


The Concert

There was a bit of a late start, but that was soon forgotten once a short documentary (by Callum Preston) on the band starts, archiving their beginnings in 1996, touring road trips, and one-on-one interviews. The debatable and questionable hair choices of Clint Hyndman (that red hair though), how Paul Dempsey has considerably mellowed during the years, and Stephanie Ashworth's first impressions of the band (who thought it would have been horrible to be a part of).

Then, one by one, the trio came out to the exhilarating cheer of the crowd, accompanied by touring multi-instrumentalist John Hedigan. A brief greeting to the Brisbane crowd and they start at the beginning. From the first EP of The Answer To Both Your Questions (1996) to Elsewhere for 8 Minutes (1997) and onward to their most recent Leave Your Soul To Science (2012). Ashworth ditched her shoes early on, playing bare feet for the rest of the night, and Dempsey his jacket. Twenty Years was played, somewhat as a happy birthday in which the crowd may or may not have sung Happy Birthday to the band too (we totally did).





(Please excuse the super tall guy. I could barely see past his shoulders at one point)
 

A short ten minute intermission between the two sets, and they were back at it. The second half begins with Dempsey playing two covers (keys for Back To You and acoustic guitar for All The Things That Aren't Good About Scientology).



The final stretch of the night kicks in as everyone joins the stage again. I'm pretty sure I saw Hyndman have a brief cramp in his arm, given his relentless and beast playing on the kit all night.





The night was ending as the band closed the show with Like Bankrobbers and Working Against Me, going backstage to recompose for an encore to which the crowd was chanting for. A raise of a stubby, a heartfelt gratitude to everyone during the past two decades, and a flash fade out as a last minute add and rendition of Pinstripe stretches on.


After Show

E and I stayed back well after as we queued for a meet and greet and signing with the band; shared a few friendly conversations with others and had our own usual bizarre talks. Soon though, I was face to face with them and I have lost my words.


 
Looking back on it now, I wish I could've just written a short letter for them, but whatever I said that night still suffices (I wished them happy birthday as I left though omgomgomg).

I couldn't have asked for a better night or a better gift really. I've already said this a lot, but thank you to Fee for making it possible for me to see them, and thank you to E for coming with me and enjoying the night and music!

Twenty years. Happy Birthday, Something for Kate.



- Del

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot, this happened:




Fuck yeah.

Comments

Popular Posts