Books | Winter Reading List 2019

It's the end of June. We're practically one month into winter now and I'm very late with this list. Story of my life. But I'm not going to let that get in the way of me posting my winter reading list.



There's something about reading during the winters that transport you someplace else. Whether that's to somewhere warmer, fantastical, or dark, it's a time of the year where you can rug up with a good book to get you through the long night. If you're like me though and suffer from very cold fingers (and are very frugal with the heater). well... I feel for ya pain too, friend.

"But wear gloves," some of you'd say. And to that I'll reply, "Nah". So far, my solution is a) deal with it and b) use a heat pack if I'm bothered.

Wait. Isn't this post supposed to be about a reading list for this winter?


tbr list.

1) Journey Under the Midnight Sun by Keigo Higashino.





My #currentlyreading book. I've been wanting to read more Japanese mystery and crime novels for a while now. So, I'm taking my first steps into it with Journey Under the Midnight Sun. My first impressions of it so far are mutual, but I'm enjoying the tone and big moments. I'd describe the book as a 'slow burn' but full of minute details. I like trying to predict what happens next or remembering a small detail that connects two and two together. So, I can confidently say that while the novel stays true to crime genre motifs, the 2-decade timeline and twists is what makes this story stand out.

Shout out to 'Quab' for recommending this book!

2) Into the Fire by Sonia Orchard.




Another mystery-esque novel about guilt and moving on, Into the Fire feels appealing to my current taste in books. Intriguing, commentative, and contemporary Australian. In a way, I'm approaching this book with a more analytical lens rather than my usual mindset "let's read first and then analyse" route. Why?

Well, I want to see if this novel lives up to the positive praise I've heard so far, if the craftsmanship is strong, and if it showcases the themes it meant to have well. Perhaps not the best way to read, but there are times I want to read to analyse and this book is one of those times.

3) Room by Emma Donoghue.




Having seen the 2015 film adaptation, I was interested in reading the original novel. A lot of people seem to like or hate this book, and I can understand why. I've only read a few pages so far and I'm liking it, but I can see how the narration (from 5yo Jack's perspective) can be tedious, annoying, and unrelatable for some readers. Still, I want to push through other's opinions of the novel and finish it for myself.

4) The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon.




Since my winter reading list is dark, heavy, and serious, I thought I'd chuck in something 'lighter'. Apparently, that meant The Bone Season, which, to my understanding, is anything but. However, since the book is more in the fantasy genre, I consider it 'light'. I like fantasy. It's a nice escape from reality even if it's equally dark and serious.

-

Aaand that's a wrap! Now let's make a bet and see if I can finish reading 4 books in 2 months.

Until then, stay golden, ya nerds.

- Del

All book cover images found via Google Images.

Comments

Popular Posts