It's okay to stop reading


For the longest time I would always push myself to finish any book I read, even the ones I didn’t like at all. So consequently, I end up reading slower because my engagement and investment in a book dwindled with each page, each sentence. It began to feel like a chore to read and I didn’t look forward to a once-loved hobby. But still, I forced myself to finish a book because of some weird completionism mentality. Then, almost always, I finish the book unsatisfied and annoyed because I didn’t enjoy the book and felt like I wasted my time. 

Seriously, a completionism mentality can be a major buzzkill. Reading is my escapism at the end of the day. So why do I unnecessarily push myself to complete books I end up disliking?

I honestly wish I had that kind of commitment and energy to read 100+ books a year, but unfortunately, I don’t. I’m a slow reader, the type that likes to absorb every detail of a book, every sentence, and think about the previous scenes and predict what’s about to come next (but actually be surprised and have my predictions subverted). And perhaps it’s this slow reading habit of mine that also contributes to the unsatisfied, annoyed feeling I have after I finish reading a book I don’t like.

On the other hand, I like talking about books. I like discussing about books and its plots, characters, the writing mechanics. Y’know, the fun stuff. And logically, it makes sense to finish a book to be able to discuss it properly. So, I end up pushing myself to finish said books to make sure that a) I understand the whole piece of work to talk about it, and b) I’m holding myself accountable of my thoughts and options. Because, let’s be honest, critiquing/ reviewing/ or commenting on a book without actually reading the entire thing is dicey. Would you read a book review from someone who’s only read like 100 pages of the thing? Probably not and that’s totally understandable.

After much soul-searching and forgiving my past self for many weak reading habits, I’ve come to terms with the fact: it’s okay to stop reading a book. It’s okay to put the book down when you’re not enjoying it and come back to it later when you’re ready. It’s okay to never read the book again. It’s okay to abandon a book if it makes you uncomfortable, if it’s boring or not your cup of tea usually. Because guess what? My time, your time, is limited on this Earth. We might as well spend our time reading books we actually like and enjoy, books that we get invested in and want to share with others.

Stop reading it and start a new book that’s worth your time.

- Del

Note: Image from [x]

Comments

Popular Posts