You know what? I'm gonna start talking about knitting


So, you want to start knitting. You want to knit a scarf to wear for the coming winter months or knit a beanie, a blanket, a jumper, whatever. You just want to knit. But you have no bloody idea where to start or what any of the knitting lingo means. Fret not, my simple non-knitting pleb because I’m a knitter. And I can show you the (everyone should know these) basics to get you started on your first knitting project.



Knitting is perhaps one of my favourite hobbies these days. It’s a creative and challenging hobby that keeps my hands busy while I binge TV shows or movies. Plus, I get a new scarf, beanie, shawl – whatever – once I finish it! The repetitiveness of knitting is also quite meditative for me and helps me unwind after a long day.

Disclaimer: I’m not a master knitter, but… like an intermediate I-have-enough-knitting-knowledge type of knitter. A knitter that has mastered the basics, ya feel me?

So, what are the knitting basics? Why are they important?
Should you learn them?

To answer your questions:
  • Knitting basics are the foundational skills you must learn to even begin the simplest of knitting projects. Without it, you won’t learn how to cast on stitches and how to cast off, how to knit a simple AF garter or purl stitch (which a majority of knitting is based on FYI), and how to read patterns. Plus, once you get allllllll of these basics down, you can teach yourself new styles of stitches and create your own projects;
  • See point 1. Also, don’t try to cut corners on learning how to knit. Don’t be that person;
  • Yes, you should learn the knitting basics. See point 1 again.

Now that you got the point – where should you begin? There are an overwhelming number of basics to learn, but I’ve narrowed it down to five basics to help you get started:
  1. How to make a slip knot
  2. How to do a knitted cast on
  3. How to knit a stitch
  4. How to purl a stitch
  5. How to cast off.

Once you get the hang of these five basics, you’ll be well on your way to knitting your first beginner friendly project! Then with enough practice, you’ll eventually find your niche or favourite item to knit.

There’s no age limit to knitting and anyone can learn it. That’s why I want to share what I’ve learnt about knitting, patterns, and my love for it here on this ‘ol blog o’ mine. All you have to do is just buy some yarn and knitting needles and start.

Stay tuned for the first knitting basics tutorial. Until next time, stay golden ya nerds.

- Del

Comments

Popular Posts